Research for Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy can be categorized into a number of different headings.
General Historical Background
Scenario Design (Battles and Campaigns)
There are a number of resources online and in print to assist CM fans.
There are a number of good general histories online and in print.
Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
- The United States Army in World War II (the "Green Books") - are available online; volumes dealing with the Americans in Normandy include:
Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Commonwealth Forces
- Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War - is also available online
- History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Vol III The Victory Campaign: The Operations in Northwest Europe, 1944-45 (pdf)
- History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Vol III The Victory Campaign: The Operations in Northwest Europe, 1944-45 (Hyper-War online HTML version)
- The Canadian Army 1939-1945: An Official Summary (pdf)
General Scenario Design
- Walker, Mark H. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Strategy Guide (Battlefront.com, 2002)
- Contains detailed interviews with CM scenario designers with tips and how-to advice that is applicable to the CMX2 game engine
- Panzer Colors Volume I (Squadron-Signal Publications)
- Out of print, but definitive general volume on camouflage and general markings of German AFVs and tanks from 1939-1945