There are a number of resources online and in print to assist CM fans. This article lists a number of links or at least references to information sources that will be of use to the WWII scenario designer.
Historical Background Edit
There are a number of good general histories online and in print.
The US Army Edit
- The United States Army in World War II (the "Green Books") - are available online; volumes dealing with the Americans in Normandy include:
Commonwealth Forces Edit
- Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War - is also available online
- History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Vol III The Victory Campaign: The Operations in Northwest Europe, 1944-45 (pdf)
- History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War, Vol III The Victory Campaign: The Operations in Northwest Europe, 1944-45 (Hyper-War online HTML version)
- The Canadian Army 1939-1945: An Official Summary (pdf)
Links for Mapmakers Edit
- aerial photos of France from 1947 onward. Note: not oriented with North at the top.
- Maps with detailed contour lines. Thin lines represent 5 meters. Bold ones are 25 meters. The height difference of dotted lines varies.
- a question and some good answers, at the Battlefront forum.
General Scenario Design Edit
Print Resources Edit
- Walker, Mark H. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin Strategy Guide (Battlefront.com, 2002)
- Contains detailed interviews with CM scenario designers with tips and how-to advice that is applicable to the CMX2 game engine
Online Resources Edit
Mod Research Edit
German Armor Edit
- Out of print, but definitive general volume on camouflage and general markings of German AFVs and tanks from 1939-1945
German Uniforms Edit
Canadian Army Edit